She Drives Me Crazy – was recorded by English group Fine Young Cannibals. Lead singer Roland Gift was born in Birmingham and in 1990, he was named by People magazine as one of the “50 Most Beautiful People” in the world. The song reached number five on the British singles chart and was a big…
Bored of the same English text books? No time for English classes? Always wanted to know what your favorite artists are singing about?
Learn English With Songs By Level And Speak Like A Native
Learning English doesn’t have to just take place in an English class or with a book. English is instrumental to real life expression and learning how to use it certainly doesn’t have to be boring. Many learners of English say that by listening to music they like; through a combination of repetition and enjoyment of the music, the language and vocabulary becomes far easier to remember and understand when it’s used in an authentic and native-like context that is related to popular culture across the whole world. Modern history has showed us that the best artists of America, The UK, Australia, and Canada to name a few; are some of the true masters of lyrical manipulation and expression. They have showed us how people can speak, express themselves and think and feel across the entire planet. Whether you like rap, indie, rock, metal, pop, hip-hop or whatever, you can choose what music to learn from at El Universo Del Inglés.
If you learn English in this context and practice regularly you will not only begin to love English (instead of hating it!) but you will learn so much more and speak the language in arguably its most expressive and abstract form. For too long has English learning focused on truly non-authentic content written by elitist academics who often struggle to relate to ordinary people and therefore published material at times doesn’t always motivate you to want to learn more. English is the most powerful language in the world and we invite you try our way and see for yourself just how great it can be! We have carefully selected popular songs of a variety of genres which are suited to learners from a beginner level right up to proficiency.
- Listen to the song and watch the video. Ask yourself: What is the song about? What words and/or phrases did you recognize? Don’t worry if you don’t understand everything or hardly anything! At this stage, the aim is not to understand every tiny detail of the song.
- Read the definitions of the words and/or expressions below the video and listen to some of this target language you will hear in the song. Play the sound of the word several times and try to say it yourself.
- The second time you listen, listen to the song with the lyrics in front of you and complete the activity – e.g. select the correct options / reorganize the song verses / writing in the correct word or simply singing along to the song.
- For other words and/or phrases that you don’t know, simply look them up in a dictionary or use your translator.
- PLAY THE SONG/REWIND IT AS MANY TIMES AS YOU NEED TO! YOU DON’T HAVE TO GET EVERYTHING CORRECT THE FIRST TIME!
- After several repetitions of the song and singing/saying it to yourself, the lyrics and language used will become more and more familiar to you so that it just rolls off your tongue and you can really WOW! your friends and family!
- Even if you’re able to say a verse or just a line or two of the song that you couldn’t understand and pronounce before, then you should be proud of yourself! Consider this to be one more step forward in mastering the English Language
- If you feel confident enough, record yourself on video singing the song and upload your video to Facebook or Instagram! Who can give the best performance? Your video will be shared across the world with other students of English. A member of our team can also listen to you and correct you where necessary.
- Write in the comments below to share your thoughts and opinions about the song.
- Last but not least, enjoy yourself!
Select from the songs below: